Tips and Articles about Building a strong reading Community
The 40 Book Challenge as described in The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller is based on student choice and creating life long readers rather than accountability and restrictions. To learn more about her thoughts on student choice and other tips for creating life long readers, check out some of the following articles.
- Article from Neil Gaiman about the importance of libraries, books, and student choice
- Nerdy Book Club Blog Post "Top Ten Ways to Turn Your Classroom into a Hotbed of Enthusiastic Readers"
- Blog Post "So You Want a Reading Classroom - 12 Ideas to Help You"
- Letter Home to Parents About At Home Reading from Donalyn Miller (Author of The Book Whisperer)
- An Argument in Favor of Graphic Novels from Terry Thompson (Author of Adventures in Graphica)
- Blog Post in Favor of Student Choice Over Reading Programs such as AR
- Discussion of the use of Lexile Levels in the classroom
- A teacher's Discussion of How She Implemented 40 Book Challenge in Her Classroom
- An Article by Donalyn Miller in Educational Leadership where she discusses Choice and Requirements
- Lists for student reference from my Good Reads Shelves